As you may know, it’s been a busy couple of weeks in our life. We’ve been in the process of moving and prior to our move this past Monday, we had gone down to Venice Beach and Newport to visit some of my (Matt’s) family and got home Sunday. You know, you only live once so why not cram as much in as possible??
In the midst of all that…we’re still pregnant (36 1/2 weeks), which leads me to the point of this post. We found out this past Tuesday that Little Browne is breech, which means he is not head down where he should be, instead he is butt down. After Annie talked to the doctor a couple of times and did a bunch of internet research we found out that breach is quite common and the ways around this issue are to attempt to move him or do a C-section.
Our doctor said that she wants to try to move him from the outside so that natural birth is still a possibility. Anything is possible, he may decide to move on his own and it’s also possible he could move again if the doctor succeeds in moving him. It is unlikely he would be able to move back to breach though due to his size at this point.
There is a slight risk of emergency C-section while they are trying to move him. If he goes into distress they will have to go in and grab him. The other thing Annie found in her research is that two babies have died since the 1970’s from this exterior manual manipulation but both deaths were due to not monitoring the baby. Our doctor said they monitor the baby’s heart rate and also use ultrasound during this process.
After feeling stressed by this news for a few hours we decided to go in next week and let the doctor try to move Little Browne. Best case scenario is that the doctor successfully moves him and Little Browne comes when he is ready. The other possibilities are that we have an emergency C-section that day and meet him slightly early or if he does not move but no emergency C-section is required we schedule a C-section for 39 weeks.
This parenting thing has already been filled with many ups and downs. That’s parenting. We’ve gone into every decision thus far with all the information and research we can gather. I know people have opinions about all of these things but we trust our doctor and we understand that all things come with risk…it’s part of life. So we’re hoping for the best and we will let you know when our appointment next week is once it’s scheduled. You can follow the progress on this blog or over on Little Browne’s Facebook page.
We really appreciate all the support from family and friends. We’re doing great. Of course it’s been pretty busy with the move and all that in the mix, but things are settling out. As for the baby stuff, we have our moments of stress which is normal I imagine but we also trust our research and instincts as well as our doctor. Things will end up how they are suppose to and we will adapt and make the best of any situation given.
So, thanks again and we’ll keep you informed.